The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is a legendary dive watch, widely regarded as the first true diver's watch. To celebrate its 70th anniversary, Blancpain has released the Fifty Fathoms 70th Anniversary Act 3, the third and final edition of the anniversary trilogy.
The Act 3 is a 41.3mm watch crafted from 9k Bronze Gold, a patented alloy that is 50% copper and 37.5% gold. It is water resistant to 300 meters and powered by the Blancpain 1154.P2 caliber, a no-date version of the 1151 with a 100-hour power reserve.
The Act 3 features a black dial with grey-white moisture indicator, a distinctive feature of the Fifty Fathoms line that was developed by Jean-Jacques Fiechter, the co-CEO of Blancpain in the 1950s. The moisture indicator changes color if water or moisture enters the watch, warning the wearer of a potential problem.
The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 70th Anniversary Act 3 is a handsome and well-made watch, but it is also rather ambitiously priced at $32,000. Limited to 555 individually numbered pieces, it is a timepiece for the serious collector.
What makes the Act 3 a heavy hitter?
- It is made from 9k Bronze Gold, a unique and luxurious alloy.
- It has a water resistance of 300 meters, making it suitable for serious diving.
- It is powered by the Blancpain 1154.P2 caliber, a high-performance automatic movement with a 100-hour power reserve.
- It features a distinctive moisture indicator, a signature feature of the Fifty Fathoms line.
What are some of the Act 3's drawbacks?
- It is rather expensive at $32,000.
- The movement is not as visually appealing as some other high-end movements.
- The watch is limited to 555 pieces, so it may be difficult to find.
Overall, the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 70th Anniversary Act 3 is a well-made and luxurious dive watch with a rich history. However, it is also quite expensive and limited in production. Whether or not it is worth the price is up to the individual collector to decide.